HPR Earns Eighth Straight Four-Star Rating From Charity Navigator

Feb 7, 2020

Hawai‘i Public Radio’s strong financial health and commitment to accountability and transparency have earned it a 4-star rating from Charity Navigator, America’s largest independent charity evaluator. This is the eighth consecutive time that HPR has earned this top distinction.

Since 2002, using objective analysis, Charity Navigator has awarded only the most fiscally responsible organizations a 4-star rating. In 2011, Charity Navigator added 17 metrics, focused on governance and ethical practices as well as measures of openness, to its ratings methodology. These Accountability & Transparency metrics, which account for 50 percent of a charity’s overall rating, reveal which charities operate in accordance with industry best practices and whether they are open with their donors and stakeholders. In 2016, Charity Navigator upgraded its methodology for rating each charity’s financial health with CN 2.1. These enhancements further substantiate the financial health of four-star charities such as HPR. 
“Hawai‘i Public Radio’s exceptional sustained 4-star rating sets it apart from its peers and demonstrates its trustworthiness to the public,” according to Michael Thatcher, President & CEO of Charity Navigator. “Only a quarter of charities rated by Charity Navigator receive the distinction of our 4-star rating. This adds HPR to a preeminent group of charities working to overcome our world’s most pressing challenges. Based on its 4-star rating, people can trust that their donations are going to a financially responsible and ethical charity when they decide to support the station.” 
“As we work to fulfill our mission to educate, inform, connect, and entertain listeners with our statewide network, we put an equal amount of effort and care into using our supporters’ contributions wisely” said HPR President & General Manager José A. Fajardo. “Our 4-star Charity Navigator rating, achieved for the eighth consecutive year, demonstrates our good governance and financial accountability to our station members, underwriters, and community partners.”

Community support makes up the vast majority of HPR’s funding. Only 5% of the station’s operating revenues come from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the entity that distributes federal funds; the remaining 95% comes from individual community members (57%), underwriters (26%), and other local sources.

HPR’s rating and other information about charitable giving are available on charitynavigator.org.