Hawai‘i Public Radio (HPR) is a locally-managed, community-funded nonprofit serving a statewide audience. We were named one of the 2015 Best Places to Work in Hawaii by Hawaii Business magazine and Best Companies Group. HPR is an equal employment opportunity employer.
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES - HPR MEMBERSHIP
HPR’s membership group is charged with strengthening ties between the station and its supporters, listeners and the wider community. We help you navigate the station, member benefits, and station activities that range from open houses to concerts and other live events, and from volunteering to VIP receptions.
The local community provides the lion’s share of the financial resources required to operate HPR’s statewide network. The membership group works to secure these funds and are stewards of these donor relationships.
The team organizes the semi-annual pledge drives during which the entire station staff is joined in the HPR studios by 300+ community volunteers to urge listeners statewide to support the work of this fiercely independent enterprise through voluntary contributions.
If HPR’s mission to provide quality news and outstanding music and cultural offerings resonates with you and if you thrive in a lively, highly collaborative and interactive work environment, we invite you to submit your letter of interest and resume.
Events & Outreach Assistant
Position Details: Part-time, minimum 22 hours/week, eligible for select employee benefits, reports to Events Coordinator. Available for periodic early morning, evening and weekend station events.
- Assist with daily membership activities – respond to listener/donor inquiries by phone or email, assist with printing/assembling mailings, make follow-up calls to donors to update contact info. Assist with data entry to membership file.
- Station events – assist with venue coordination, prepare and send invitations, rsvps and guest confirmations, pick up food, help with set-up and take-down, guest welcome and check-in. Give station tours.
- Outreach – arrange for outreach tables at community events, deliver/pick-up outreach materials, host table with volunteers.
- Volunteers – pledge drive & station events -- assist with recruiting and scheduling volunteers, prepare confirmation emails and volunteer training materials or scripts. Provide info and liaison with prospective volunteers. Data entry of volunteer contact info to membership file.
- Pledge drive thank you gifts – assist with item inventory and set-up, prepare on-air scripts. Post-drive assist with premium fulfillment – assemble gifts for mailing, prepare event gift letters, event rsvps.
- Pledge drive food – assist with planning and coordination of meals for volunteers.
- Pledge drive studio set-up – assist with set-up and take-down.
- Pledge drive volunteer supervisor/producer – attend Think Tank, attend Supervisor orientation, train to be a supervisor/producer for the drive, work multiple shifts, volunteer advocate and ambassador during the drive.
- Provide periodic lunch or vacation coverage for Front Desk/Reception.
Loves public radio.
People- and customer care-oriented personality. Positive attitude, energetic, a self-starter.
A good listener. Conscientious and well-organized.
Completes assigned tasks in a timely and thorough fashion. Works independently. Asks questions to understand processes and assure accuracy. Attention to detail.
Enjoys a lively, fast-paced, collaborative, and highly interactive work environment.
1-2 years prior work experience, esp in customer or member services or events coordination.
Strong interpersonal communication skills – over the phone, face-to-face, and in writing.
Strong proficiency in MS Word and Excel.
Database experience and/or digital marketing sales tools experience.
Available early mornings, evenings and weekends for station events.
Valid Drivers’ License. Access to a car. Able to lift 50 lbs.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email or snail mail your cover letter and resume. Be sure to identify the position you are applying for and explain how your skills and qualifications are a match for it. Email: email@example.com or mail to: Hawai‘i Public Radio, 738 Kāheka St., Honolulu HI 96814. Hawai‘i Public Radio is an EEO employer.